Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Take Care of Your Skin!











<a href My sophomore year of high school I had a really close friend lose her Dad to skin cancer. It hit her hard as well as everyone else. I was there for her through the hard times and I have never seen a family so devastated. He was a husband, brother, son, friend, and a father to my friend, her older sister, her younger sister who was in elementary school, and another younger sister who was not even in school yet. It broke my heart to see one of my very best friends have to deal with losing her Dad at such a young age. From then on, she has become devoted to spreading the word to people to protect their skin. People don't realize how scary skin cancer can be and how easy you can get it. In high school I would go tanning in a tanning bed before dances, that was until I promised my friend that I would never go tanning again. She made me realize that it's not worth being tan in the winter time. Would you rather be tan in the winter, feel prettier, get wrinkles earlier in life, and increase your risk of melanoma by 74% or would you rather deal with being white in the winter and living a longer and healthier life? I know I would rather deal with being white in the winter because I have important people in my life that I want to continue seeing every day and I need to live for them. I am so proud of my friend Courtney for who she is today. She has educated so many people about how to take care of their skin. She helps her step-mom host a softball tournament every summer in honor of her Dad and everyone is required to wear sunscreen. I hate seeing girls go tanning in tanning beds because I know how bad it is for them and I know that so many of them don't realize what they are doing to their skin and their future. One blistering sunburn in childhood or adolescence more than doubles a persons chances of developing melanoma. I ask you to please protect your skin and think about the people in your lives that you need to stay healthy for; your loved ones need you. It is so easy to reduce your risks of skin cancer, you just have to choose to do it. I am so proud of Courtney for everything she is doing in life. She has lost a step-dad and her very own Dad but she still continues to be one of the strongest most kind-hearted people I know. She is currently attending George Fox and pursuing a degree in molecular biology so that she can pursue a career in cancer research. I plan to continue protecting my skin and trying to get other to do the same. I have posted a video that I would love for you to watch!

8 comments:

  1. Living in Florida, I know how deadly the sun can be! How courageous of your friend! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing! My family is often outdoors during the summer doing camping, fishing, horse riding, and other activities and we hardly ever put sunscreen on. I will make sure this summer to add it to our list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I am so glad you are going to put sunscreen on you and your family! You are so welcome :)

      Delete
  3. I'm honestly glad that tanning beds have an age limit now! Tanning comes along with all of the other self - esteem things girls usually go through and I say "No!" to tanning beds! Haha. That is sad about your friend's family. How tragic. It's strange how something like skin cancer can have such an impact on a person's health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm aware of how harmful the sun is, but for the life of me, I never remember to put sunscreen on and I end up burnt and hurting! I now pack sunscreen in my car! lol. I used to go to tanning beds back in high school to feel prettier, but now I try to stay healthier by exercising and enjoying the sun when I can..wearing sunscreen! I'll be using lots in California for spring break!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em, I absolutely love this. Thank you for helping me and my family spread the word about protecting your skin from the sun. PLEASE don't use tanning beds.
    Embrace your natural skin tone! You are beautiful!
    Love you, Em!
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I guess I had better start using sunscreen!!

    ReplyDelete